The whole school inspection in 2009 describes the school as “a happy, friendly and welcoming environment that positively promotes and supports the holistic development and welfare of all students”. We foster pupil care through taster elements for all subjects in first year, year heads, tutors, study buddies, senior pupils who ‘mentor’ first years, induction days for incoming first years, evening study and a guidance counsellor.
The Pastoral Care structure in St. Joseph’s involves; the principal, deputy principal, year heads, the student council, the senior mentors, the career guidance counsellor, the “study buddy” system, the learning support/SEN room, the SPHE and Religious Education teams.
- Each individual first year is assigned a senior mentor for a period of one year.
- Each individual Leaving Certificate student is assigned a “study Buddy” – i.e. a staff member as a contact.
- Each individual year group is assigned a year head.
- The induction of first year students in September is considered of great importance as students from up to 7/8 feeder schools get to know each other and adjust to a new school environment.
- To create an environment where respect and care for each individual is experienced as real and practical.
- To give needful support to all, especially those affected by personal or domestic circumstances.
- To create a happy, close knit school community.
- To build an atmosphere that stimulates the growth of the whole person.
- To create an environment of co-operation and justice.
- To encourage students to reach their full potential and take responsibility.
- St. Joseph’s endeavours to promote and encourage the holistic development of the students, in keeping with the mission statement of the school.
- St. Joseph’s is a school with a clear Catholic ethos.
- Although a small school in size, we are big in heart and spirit.