St.Joes Stifled By Gutsy Glens

St.Joseph’s Charlestown……………..0 Glenamaddy Community School………….3


A well drilled defensive Glenamaddy kept St.Joseph’s scoreless for the first time this season and in doing so managed to find the net on three occasions themselves to deservingly go through to the Connaught u.17 Final where they will meet Belmullet who overcame Foxford by 3 goals to 2.

Charlestown started the game well and had a shot from Horan and Horkan over the crossbar in the first few minutes and then in the 12th minute a perfect delivered free kick almost unhinged the Glens defence.Horkans kick was guided goal wards by Horan but unfortunately it went the wrong side of the post.

Glenamaddy then got into their stride and forced a number of corners. Radostev managed to punch one away to safety. Their next effort was a wild shot over the Charlestown ‘bar but the threat of a goal materialised on 21 minutes when a long angled low shot from the edge of the box put the Co. Galway school in front.

Charlestown then had their turn and very nearly got the equaliser when first a great Horkan run was stopped just in the nick of time and then a wonderful ball saw Horan dance his way into the opposing penalty area only for him to stumble at the wrong time as he was about to shoot at goal. With 28 minutes on the clock the Glens had the opportunity to double their  lead when Gavin Duffy caught a Glens striker with a late tackle that up ended the player and without hesitation the referee pointed to the spot. The resultant spot kick was driven wide. Radostev had done his bit to put the kicker off target. On 33 minutes Matty Lenehan, returning from surgery, flicked a great ball on for Horan to carry forward but again he was stopped by a good Glen’s rearguard. Sweeney then forced a corner and while the home team were only given scraps to live on they were still very much in the game but the second Glenamaddy goal two minutes before half time when a good break was turned into the net by their striker McHugh somewhat gave the away side a safety cushion.

This St.Joseph’s team had come back from two goals down in their two previous matches so there was no need to panic just yet. A good start to the second half was imperative if the same was to happen today  for the ‘comeback kings’and the first five minutes looked promising with a Horan effort before a cruel deflection saw the Glens go 3-0 up after winning a corner  the ball broke to the Galway boys and cannoned in off the back of a St.Joes player.

The extremely hot weather did not deter the home team from a brave and heroic fight back but the Glenamaddy boys held tight and stifled the life out of the home side and were good value for their win in the end. To name anyone player would not be fair as each and every one of the starting eleven and the substitute did their best to claw their way back. From the battling of Dunleavy and the two Duffys at the back, the towering and commanding Cian Craig, to the all running O’Donoghue on one wing, the appetite of Lenehan and the application of Horkan who popped up everywhere as did Horan.The captain, Sweeney did everything that he could as did Moran up front and Duffy when he came on as a replacement, it really was a team effort. But today we were beaten by a better team and there is no harm at all in that. We wish Glenamaddy the best of luck in the final.

Sorry to all the supporters, parents and teachers who came and watched ,you may not have got a win so hopefully the sun tan will make up for it

.Soccer and indeed sport is virtually all over for another season in St.Joseph’s. It wasn’t a bad year, some good memories, long may they last!

Thanks to Charlestown Athletic again for giving the use of their facilities. The pitch got high praise from Glenamaddy and from the refereeing officials. Thanks Peter!

To James Kilroy, thanks once again and we wish Charlestown a successful year in the Mayo League.                        GC